Wednesday, August 27, 2008

RHUBARB SHORTCAKE






Chop 4 stalks of rhubarb and place in a buttered baking dish.

1 1/2 cups of sugar (can use cane or half white/half cane)
3/4 stick butter
Cream butter and sugar.

Blend in:
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

Then add;
2 cups unbleached flour
1 cup milk.
Spread over rhubarb.

Then mix 1 cup sugar and 2 T cornstarch and sprinkle over batter.
Top with 2 cups of boiling hot water.
Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes until top is lightly golden.

This is what's Working for Me on Wednesday! Next week, it'll have to be exercise to work this off! :-)

3 comments:

Honey Mommy said...

Thanks for the recipe!
I love rhubarb and this is a new way to prepare it! It sounds almost like a cobbler. Yum, Yum!

Anonymous said...

You know I've never tasted rhubarb before. I can't believe I just said that...I LOVE food and I've never tried rhubarb. I can't wait to try this out!! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

you're welcome honey mommy!

jeni,
Rhubarb this way, tastes sorta like strawberries. They are a bit more tart!:-) But this recipe has lotsssssss of sugar to mellow it out.

I love this recipe. The top is almost like a cake-biscuit with a glaze that is like the glaze on a donut -almost. Underneath the cake is a gooey pink pudding with soft chunks of rhubarb. A very nice treat!