Monday, December 1, 2008

Gingerbread Men....


Run, run, as fast as you can
You can't catch me
I'm the gingerbread man!
These are so cute and fun! And they won the taste buds of my whole crew! (They can be pretty picky about spice breads and cookies.)
2 cups of molasses
1 cup of fat (I used 1 stick of butter and the rest beef tallow; lard would work too),melted
1 T ground ginger
1/2 t cinnamon
dash of nutmeg and allspice
1 t soda
Mix fat and molasses then the remaining ingredients.
Mix in several cups of plain flour until dough cannot be stirred with a spoon.
Roll and cut out men on heavy floured surface.
Make sure the bottoms are floured before placing on baking sheet, or they will stick.
Bake at 350 until cookies are golden brown.
For the icing, I just mixed1/4 stick of butter, dash of vanilla, several (approx 4) cups of powder sugar, and a T or two of milk. You want it thick so it will set up pretty stiffly on your cookies.
*Put icing in baggie and cut corner off.
*These make a nice gift!
(I gave some of these away with a container of homemade hot cocoa! They're good with coffee too!)
And they WORK FOR ME!

No comments: