Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chicken Quarters


Oven fried chicken quarters, green peas, mashed potatoes, and biscuits.......can you tell that I live down south?

**The chicken was skinned and washed, then dipped in my flour mixture. (flour, salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, etc. whatever you have on hand- I particularly like alot of garlic powder for this)

**While preheating the oven, I place my large baking/frying dish in their. (You can use a 9x13 if your chicken pieces can fit, I have to use a larger metal pan. ) Place a dollop or two or shortening in the pan along with a half a stick of margarine, sliced. The fats will melt and become hot while the oven preheats so your chicken will start 'frying' as soon as placed in the pan.

**Cook on 400 for about 50 minutes flipping chicken halfway through cooking.

Total Cost of Meal was $4 for chicken, .80 for peas, about .70 for potatoes, .25 for biscuits. About $5.80 and fed 8. (A family of 4 could easily make this for $3!)

No comments: