Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chocolate Covered Creme-filled Donuts...

I know- I know- but- they begged me! And they wanted NO healthy stuff in them! And when a couple of them suggested that I could not do it- well- hmmp! I showed them! ;-)
So- all healthy stuff- out! Plain flour, sugar, and bad oil, here I come!
*****
This recipe is based on my reworkings of several that I found online. This makes a dough, almost like that of a canned biscuit. As you can see below, they look like that too.
***
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cup milk
4 t yeast
2 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 t salt
6 1/2 to 7 cups plain flour
oil for frying (I used half peanut oil and half cheap vegetable oil.)
Directions:
Heat milk until just slightly above lukewarm, add yeast.
Mix in sugar, oil, salt, eggs, blend well.
Add flour one cup at a time, being careful with the last cup not to add too much.
You want a soft dough, not stiff.
Knead well, about 10 to 15 minutes by hand on lightly floured counter.
Cover and allow to rest on counter for 45 minutes.
Roll dough until it is about 1/2 an inch thick and cut with circle cutter or wide glass.
Place dough on lightly sprayed baking sheets to rise.
Allow to rise 30 to 40 minutes.
Heat oil, testing with a bread cube. Its hot enough to fry when a 1inch cube of bread cooks in about a minute. But be careful not to get the oil too hot or your doughnuts will brown too quickly and be doughy in the middle.
Drop doughnuts in the oil cooking for approx. 45 seconds to 1 minute per side.
Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then place on baking rack to cool.
***
Creme Filling:
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of regular sugar (for the texture if you like, if not, omit)
1/3 cup milk
2 t vanilla
approx. 5 to 6 cups powdered sugar
Cream butter and vanilla then add half the sugar, then milk, then remaining sugar until a fluffy filling is made.
You will need a tipped pastry bag or something like I have below to fill the doughnuts.
Chocolate Frosting for the top can made exactly as above, adding 1/2 cup cocoa powder and a little more milk.





This is a Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus
sold on Amazon and at Walmart for under $15 usually.
This has came in handy for me this last year, since I have a knack for destroying pastry bags!
Here's the finished product- or rather what's left- they nearly ate themselves sick!
**
Be sure to check out Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays
Chef In Training
************************************************
Scavenger Hunt: Here is your second special My Memories Link!

9 comments:

Anna said...

YUM! One of these days when I have a lot of energy and a little extra time I may just have to try some donuts like these. My donuts usually consist of a can of refrigerated biscuits and cinnamon, powder or regular sugar.

Connie said...

These look as great as Krispy Kreme's! I am sure they taste every bit as good as theirs - or better!!
Many blessings for a great week!

Millie said...

Oh Donna! They look so yummy. And much better than anything you could buy in the store. Pretty good compromise in my opinion :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nikki said...

These look wonderful. My husband and I have been looking for a donut recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh my! So glad I didn't make these I would have gave into temptation for sure! They look wonderful!
GREAT JOB!
I bet your kids were thrilled!
Joy

Anonymous said...

Those donuts look so good! Thanks for the tip about the Wilton Dessert Decorator!

Cindi Marie said...

Donna, those sure are some scrumptious looking doughnuts!

michelebayko said...

Going to give it a try! Thank you for posting and for all the great pictures!