Thursday, March 13, 2008

STICKY BUNS- with raisins

To make these sticky- glazed rolls, I use part of my dough from my bread recipe:
BASIC WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
Soften 1/2 tbsp yeast in 1/2 cup warm water
(Let stand ten minutes.)
ADD:
2 cups of warm water (potato water if available)
1/4 cup honey (natural preservative!)
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp.-1Tbsp. salt
2 t. gluten if desired
7 cups of whole wheat flour
Mix in 1/2 the flour and let sit for 20 minutes or so, then stir in rest of flour.
Turn out onto floured board and kneed about 10 minutes, until elastic. Dough should be firm. Cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down. Let rise until doubled again. Shape into 2 loaves and place in oil sprayed pans. Let rise until double. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or 400 for 10 mins. and 375 for 20 mins. 
 
Roll out about half of it into a rectangle, spread melted butter on with pastry brush; sprinkle on brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, and this time I also used raisins. 
Most of the time I use pecans instead of raisins.
The nice glaze comes from spreading melted butter around in a pie plate and sprinkling with honey and brown sugar before placing rolls in; then when rolls are done, flip into a plate.
(This isn't the prettiest batch that I've made, I usually make them twice as thick. But out of the bread recipe from above I made this pan of sticky buns, a pan of cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting, and a nice loaf of bread. This takes care of baking for several days!)

No comments: