Tuesday, June 3, 2008

GRATITUESDAY


Today we spent almost all day outside, working in the garden and the little peeps playing in the yard. These youngens of mine have helped me each step of the way with the garden, and it could not have been so, if they were not home-schooled.

Looking up from my work, watching some work and some play, I was so thankful that I wasn't having to miss a moment of this! I didn't have to miss their 'playtime' and 'worktime'. I didn't have to miss how they played with one another or how they talked to one another. (Or how one called the other a jerk--gee winkers!) I was able to oversee it all, not that I catch every little thing, just that I'm here and they are with me! And if they misbehave, I can correct it. ..If they experience something new, I can watch them and look into their excited eyes as God allows a new door to be opened.

I remember one of my boys doing something kinda rowdy once, when I wasn't around. I kept thinking; "If I had been there--he would not have done that." .......Now, I did make him write a note to the 'adult in charge' apologizing for his behavior and telling them that he would be more considerate in the future.....which left this adult in tears, so it all worked out;-). Ha Ha

But anyway,
all the way back to the time of my first baby, I remember looking at that little boy and thinking; "God gave him to me. He told me to train him up in the way he should go. He didn't tell this person, or this group, or even the school system; He told me and He gave him to me." I couldn't get over that thought.
Then I read this verse:
Deu 6:6-9 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
I thought; "this looks like an all day job". How could I do this all day or even do it well, if this child was gone most of his waking hours?

Now as I look at 6 precious faces, I could not imagine them being away from me for 8 hours a day and someone else training them in the way they SHOULD go. (Not that I am anywhere close to perfect or do a perfect job at this.) I'm so glad they're HERE!


This week, I am grateful for Home Schooling and for the freedom that we have in this Country to do so! Bless the Lord!

For more about GRATITUESDAY, visit Laura's at: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/?&MMN_position=4:4




3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm also very grateful for homeschooling. I knew I would probably enjoy it when we started...but I never realized how much I would absolutely LOVE so much about it. It is such a blessing to have the freedom to do this with our kids!

Candace said...

Hi Donna,
I love Tuesdays because it gets me thinking about all of the different things I am thankful for.
I was just thinking some of the same things as you today. What a great country we live in to have the freedom to homeschool and worship as we please.
I have never really looked into the Robinson Cirriculum...hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Candace,
The curriculum is similar to a 'classical' approach or a 3 R's.
It's also very 'frugal' -about $200 and will take you through 12th grade! It's worth a look! I would be happy to tell you more if you like!