Wednesday, September 10, 2008

4 Loaf Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

I know it's hard to imagine how anything could get misplaced in a house with 8 people in it, to look after everything, but this recipe has been MIA, yet has now returned to my kitchen to finally be typed up! Sorry for the delay EOL, I promised you a couple of weeks ago that I would post it! :-)

Approx. 10 cups of whole wheat flour
Heat:
1 cup milk with 1 stick of butter until melted

Combine:
4 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
warm milk and butter
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses
3 T yeast
5 cups whole wheat flour

Let rise, stir down.
Stir in 2 T salt. Let rise. Stir down.
Mix in flour, one cup at a time, until dough is workable. The dough should stay soft.

Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead and allow dough to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

Shape into loaves, using as little flour as necessary. Place in lightly oiled bread pans and allow to rise until doubled.

This bread is great plain, buttered, or here you see it with an egg wash (beaten egg, basted on the top of the bread) and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Mmmmmmmm... I'm copying this recipe down! Thanks!

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I will have to try it. Thank you for posting it.

Anonymous said...

OH, I am always looking for a good wheat bread recipe... this will have to be next on my list!