Thursday, September 18, 2008

FRUIT LEATHER (aka homemade fruit roll-ups)


These are so easy to make with a food dehydrator and so much healthier than the ones from the store.
These were made from apples and a little juice. I placed all but the core in a blender with a little juice (or cider works well) and blended to make applesauce.
I then pour the applesauce onto sprayed dehydrator sheets and run in the dehydrator through the night and by morning we have fruit leather.
*
You can use other fruits too. I've used pears and I've also tossed in strawberries before. You can also flavor the apples with other flavors of juice.
I also like to sprinkle the applesauce with cinnamon.
--You can also make this in the oven!--

2 comments:

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

Do you have a recipe for it if you do not have a dehydrator, like in the oven?

Donna said...

EOL,
You would make the apple/fruit sauce the same way but dry in the oven at 120 for 15 hours approx.

My oven won't go that low(I think 140), so I would run it during the day, keeping check on it to make sure it doesn't scorch and then at night I would just use the light.

You could also sun dry it. Pour your sauce in cookie sheets and cover with a sheet and sit out in the sun.

***IF- you're leather stays mushy because of whatever reason, you can still use it by cutting into strips and freezing. You could also make a 'candy' of sorts if it's really squishy by cutting into pieces and dipping in powdered sugar and freezing until ready to serve. (I think it's called Fruit Paste Candy!)

One more thing I may not have mentioned- use non-stick spray for best results! ;-)