Sunday, January 3, 2010

Orange Bread...

( I know, I know- crazy serving it up in a pie pan- but -see- the kids were down in the den playing and the bread was still hot and I wasn't about to attempt to carry six pieces of hot bread and I sure wasn't going to take a glass serving plate to the den ;-) especially with a Nerf gun fight going on- No way!)


I saw some Orange Bread in Walmart the other day for a whopping $3 a loaf! As good as it looked, I knew I could make it for a fraction of that! So -here's my shot at it:

zest of 3 oranges (can grate on large holes if you like)
1 1/2 cups sugar
juice from the oranges*
enough milk to add to the juice to make 2 cups
3 T melted butter
-Mix well and beat in;
1 egg
3 1/2 to 4 cup unbleached flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
Mix well and pour into buttered loaf pans.
Bake at 325 for approx. 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

*Optional: Can make glaze by reserving a couple of tablespoons of orange juice and mixing with 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and/or enough milk to make creamy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! Looks really good will have to try that for the kids..I am trying to cut all of us back on sugar!