Monday, April 25, 2011

Lilac......


Finally! Growth -and flowers to cut!

I had planted one of these about 5 years ago and it didn't survive.
I planted it right under my bedroom window, in hopes that I could one day open my window and the wind would blow the lovely scent of the lilacs into my room.
Well, I don't have this one quite tall enough yet and I had to move it out several feet from my window, in hopes of a better survival this time.... but I am getting to cut the flowers from it now. 
They smell heavenly!

The bundle above is hanging upside down in a paper sack in my bathroom, with slits cut in the sack so as to make sure the scent gets out!
Once the flowers dry and fall off into the sack, I will likely make sachets with them for the clothes drawers. 
You don't think the boys will mind, do you? ;-)

4 comments:

Joy said...

Your lilac is beautiful! I planted one last year under my living room window, it survived and has pretty flowers this year. I can't wait till it gets much bigger! I love the smell of lilac! Flowers are such a welcome sight after a long hard winter at my house, and in my home.
Joy

The Prudent Homemaker said...

Mine is a little smaller than yours; the lilac picture I put on my spring page was all of the lilacs I got this year.

I grew up with a lilac bush near my window as a child, and I could smell the flowers when the window was open. It was WONDERFUL.

Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

I only wish the flowers lasted longer!

I looked out this morning, and they're gone already.

But I have the dried ones on the bath room :-)