Thursday, June 23, 2011

Homemade Tootsie Rolls.....



You won't convince anyone that this is a real Tootsie Roll BUT it is a nice homemade alternative with basic pantry items and once they cool completely, they do make a nice go of it!

2 T butter
3 T cocoa powder
1/4 cup light corn syrup*
1/2 t vanilla
1/3 cup sifted milk powder (*sifting will give you a smoother texture, so do sift the milk too)
1 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar

In small saucepan, melt butter on low temp. Blend in cocoa, corn syrup, and vanilla. Heat just until bubbly.
Add sifted milk powder and 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar, stir well.

Sprinkle waxed paper with powdered sugar. Gently knead until you have a workable dough. Roll out into 4 ropes and cut into pieces with pastry cutter or knife. Wrap and twist in strips of waxed paper and allow to set up.

My kids loved these!
Be sure to check out LifeAsMom  for more Frugal Fridays!

*I think brown rice syrup would work for these but I don't have any ;-) If you try it- let me know!
This post is linked to:
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Between Naps on the Porch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, seriously?! Homemade tootsie rolls? YUM!!! I am not sure I would get to the point of wrapping them up though - they might all end up in my kids mouth and mine before then!

Donna said...

Samantha-
It certainly is hard to get to the wrapping step without eating them! However- the flavor is better when they cool. I had one little guy in the kitchen who started scraping the pot with a spoon ...while I wrapped. Nice of him to help me out like that ;-)