Thursday, March 28, 2013

Homemade Elderberry (Plus!) Syrup

With winter almost over, I guess it's really a crazy time to post about this but you gals know I'm always running late, right? You'd think with all these people around here to help me, I would be more punctual... but no, that's not how it usually happens. It's more like: "We gotta leave in 5 minutes and you can't find your shoes? You don't know where your glasses are because you can't see without them?!?! And you think you left your coat where?"
:)
Seriously though, spring often brings it's last round of germies when you least expect them so it's good to have this little treasure on hand.
There are tons of recipes online but this is my personally concocted, favorite.
(Oh and- no- I'm not going to be using garlic in it, that's just another cold remedy that I'll explain below too.)

In a small sauce pot combine:
-4 cups water
-1/2 cup dried elderberries
-1/4 cup dried olive leaves
-1 dried echinacea flower (or 1/4 cup dried)
Simmer this mixture for 1 hour, covered. (Be sure your heat is low enough that your liquid doesn't all evaporate.) Strain into a jar and add;
-1 cup of sugar (or honey)
Mix well.

Store in refrigerator. I dose about 2 tablespoons every hour until the symptoms have eased.

I usually find that we are better by day's end with this syrup. It is my new favorite remedy since watching it work wonders through this last winter season.

Frugal tips: 
-Use half cup sweetener if your littles will go along with it. The berries are quite strong so many will not take it without the extra sweet.
-Buy your herbs in bulk.
-Also, I try to grow and dry my own echinacea flowers. (Notice the header? Those have long gone to their eternal resting (tea) pot.)
-Consider other anti -viral, -fungal, -bacterial, -septic, herbs that you could grow yourself.
-You can make this using only elderberries with excellent results!

About the garlic- I often give the children a teaspoon of minced garlic, covered in honey, to help them ward off germs. Don't chew! :)

You know you're gonna get a disclaimer right?
Mmm hmm- so here it is- 
Use herbs at your own risk and discretion. I am not a doctor. I am merely sharing my experiences and recipes. 
Whew! Now back to our regularly scheduled program!

Ezek 47:12  ..and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.

This post is linked to The Shabby Nest,

1 comment:

Falchuk said...

Nice post thaanks for sharing