Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Waterloo and the Spring House in Jackson County

We had a a field trip (of sorts) to a bee keeper's today. 
(Well, anytime you go anywhere when you home school- it's a field trip, isn't it?)

The bee keeper gave us some honey and sorghum. Woo hoo!
(I know- half the bottle of honey is already gone! It's just - well- it's just SO good!)
 
Well, guess what! The bee keeper happened to know right where that spring house is located. Yeah, the one we've been looking for f-o-r-e-v-e-r.
Isn't it the cutest?  
But it is truly out in the middle of nowhere....down a gravel road...past the little bridge.....around the bend....Yeah - those kinds of directions for a place like this.
This little spring house is also on the back side of Waterloo. 
I've known about Waterloo for a while but wasn't sure how to get down into it. 
But- you keep asking and you keep seeking and sooner or later- your answer just sort of shows up!
I met someone the other day who kayaks down this creek and they knew it well.
They were able to tell me exactly where to go.

The tornado hit this area and the trees are still down and it's so secluded and rough, I can't imagine a way to clean the trees up. But God's rules of nature will take care of these things over time.

The fallen trees do take a little away from the beauty of it, especially in pictures, but we loved it there and it was considerably cooler down in this area.

We heard about the waterfalls back here and wondered if this was all there was to it:
Love that glassy look on the water! SO pretty!
But we kept walking.......until we heard the roaring!

It got louder...and louder!
That's when we came up on this drop.
My parental-fear-of-heights kicked in. 
(You know what I'm talking about...that crazy, way-past-insane, sick, paranoid, gut-dropping feeling that you get when your kids get within 50 feet of a drop!- Yeah, that feeling.)

And there it was! 
Oh- my -goodness!
Now, since I have that fear, previously discussed, I didn't make my way around from this angle to get a front view, but Kemmie did with his ipod :)
Look at it:

I begged and pleaded like a 2 year old to 'let's go find the way to the bottom' but they-who-didn't-wear-their-get-in-the-water-shoes declined as profusely as I begged! Hmmp!
And- there was a rope that made them worry about trespassing. Sigh. Chickens!

The kayaker had told me that it was okay to go down into the lower area (the owner's house is apparently the one at the top of the hill) but perhaps I can ask around again, just to be sure, and go back when we have more time.
I so hope we can go back there and spend a few hours!
If any of you go- do tell us all about it!
It's beautiful!

Gen 1:9  And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

4 comments:

Joy said...

Beautiful!!

Donna said...

I can't wait to go back and find my way to the bottom! ...I met some kids the other day who climb down the top -gulp!

Unknown said...

The spring house is about a mile past my house

Donna said...

Love that water Brian! You can taste the minerals! ...got a gallon on the counter right now :)