Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Homemade Fire Starters

Well, it's almost time to cover the stove pipes and enjoy the warmth of summer, but it's not too early to be planning for next winter's fires!
 
Note to self: Must cover stove pipe before another bird get's down it!

I have already started to collect some items, otherwise known as 'garbage', to use for next year's fires in the wood stove.

I used them a lot in late winter and early spring and found them to work better (for me) and they are made from items that are basically free!
(Those starter logs and sticks are expensive!)
 
The garbage you need?
Toilet paper rolls and lint from the dryer.
 
What you need to buy on the cheap?
Petroleum jelly
(But a little goes a long way!)

It only takes a teaspoon or two of the p.j. and you spread it thinly inside the rolls.

Then lightly stuff with lint, no need to pack.
If you like, you can wrap the lint in one square of tissue paper and leave it sticking out a little to use as a wick, but it's not necessary.
One little boy here likes to go out in his socks- can you tell from the straw?
There you have it- fire starters on the frugal!

Psa 104:4-5  Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire: Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

11 comments:

Robert said...

I wrap them pretty and give them as gifts to people!

Donna said...

Great idea! Love it!

Robert said...

You can add a pinecone it helps as well.

Donna said...

You can use just a pine cone, I've read....I just don't have easy access to them...but sure wish I did!!!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I'm totally going to try this! Do you mind if I link this idea to my blog at some point?

I think it's such a great and simple idea.

Donna said...

Please do Miss Frugal!
I think you'll find it works wonderfully, even for camp fires :)
Thank you!!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful! Thank you!

Joy said...

We do this too!
Joy

Bina Simon said...


You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
skip bin hire brisbane
skip bin hire online

Anonymous said...

Brisbane! Brisbane!
To break or smash
Oh no more!
Know ye not
He gives beauty for ashes
And oh so much more?

Dastardly deeds of darkness shined
May they glow no more!
Snuff out! Snuff out! We cry, and
Permanently close the door!

May every dark thing
Flourish in Light!
He has taken the sting
May He take the bite!

Anonymous said...

It was hard to comprehend
That which made no sense
But Revelations opened
The truth was immense!

Knew you not one boundary
Knew you not the score
That would one day be required
Of all you stole and more?

The babe broke, the blood ran
Her bear rumbles
Her bear stands.

Why? You ask?
For the Father’s attendance to the affair
It can’t be much longer
But you surely will be there!

Cover! Cover!
Control! Control!
Alas, no longer
Alas, no more

Offenses do come
But woe. But woe.
He says! -not I.
For it is the battle cry!

His will, you refused
Then broke mine
Oh my oh my
You are dark kind!

Not unlike the enemy
Who can change his skin
You gloat in chameleon
You gloat in your sin.

Innocent blood
He will defend
May you gloat no longer
May the war begin!

Oh desperate soul
Would you be made right?
Oh desperate soul
Darkness is now light

Light is in every corner
Darkness must now flee
The Holy One of Israel
Set the captives free!

Rain down, rain down
From Your throne on high
Avenge that innocent blood
Let that Presence be nigh!

God be praised
God is good
May His justice prevail
And things be as they should!