Monday, February 4, 2008

Chili- another remake!



I have written in a couple of posts about "remaking" dishes. Chili is one that is a no-brainer! I cook pinto beans (a huge pot of them) for supper one night. The next day they are a side at supper and the third day, they become chili, which is often eaten in several ways for 2 or 3 days, as it is very favored around here.

This pot of chili had about 4 quarts of leftover pinto beans,
1 pound of ground turkey mixed with
3/4 pound of ground beef, browned with,
1 large onion,
(I usually use bell peppers but this time I was out.)
Then I added:
2 cans of diced tomatoes (1 had Italian seasonings)
1 can of tomato sauce
2 packages of chili mix along with additional chili powder and garlic powder

Notes:
As we go through the pot, I dig in the freezer adding leftover kidney beans, pinto beans, chili hot beans, etc. as well as tomato sauces etc. I will also add in more chili powder as needed. The kids like the final day because that is the one day that I add a package of sliced turkey hot dogs!

*The first day it is usually served with crackers
*The second day it is served with crackers or over tortilla chips, with cheese and chopped onions.
*Sometimes it's served with cheese over fries.
*When it gets thin, often I will serve it topped with cheese over bread.
On a couple of occasions, I have served it in a "Five-Way" dish.

The kids begin to think that I have a never-ending bean pot! But they don't grow weary of them at all.

No comments: