Monday, February 4, 2008

Pre-packaged Food- adding a (Hopefully!) healthy spin



Come on girls...we all do it from time to time....buy packaged food that is.
No, its not 'best' for us and often the price is outrageous but sometimes when we can get a great deal on it, its great to have around! We all have those moments when we are running behind and somebody is hungry!

These are some ideas to add something (Hopefully!) healthy! ;-)
**To the strawberry muffins I added 1/4 cup of ground flax and a mashed banana from the freezer--you wouldn't believe how the kids bragged.
**To the macaroni and cheese I added tuna and used it for the main dish at lunch. Sometimes I also throw in some leftover peas and carrots.
**To the oatmeal cookies I added 1/3 cup of ground flax and about 3/4 chocolate chips.
**To the white cake mix, I used applesauce instead of oil and only egg whites. I used the batter for cupcakes. These things were so light!
**To the popcorn (the plainer kind) I add fake butter sprinkles and a dash of Parmesan cheese and some chili powder. That equals Chili-Cheese Popcorn! Yummy!
**I use whole grain cereals to make marshmallow treats.
**If I use a mix for pancakes, I add ground flax or bran.
**To Hamburger Helper, I often use turkey, but if I use beef I can sneak in some mashed pinto beans to many of the flavors.

PLEASE POST IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS!

PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING SITE FOR GREAT RECIPES AND TIPS!
http://tammysrecipes.com/

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Those are some great tips! I have done similar things before, but I love the popcorn tip and the marshmallow treat tip...especially because I have a bunch of cold cereals we aren't eating and a pack of marshmallows too! Thanks;)

Donna said...

Super!
Sometimes to my marshmallow treats, I also will add a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter and 1/4 cup of ground flax. It adds a little nutty flavor and hides the flax! SHhhh!