Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Fish (Tilapia) and Hush Puppies


If you have never tried Tilapia, may I strongly encourage you to real soon!
I had it once at Ryan's and from the first bite, I was hooked.
I never thought that I would like home-fried fish (or baked) but this fish is way above average. It can be bought at Wal-Mart in the freezer section for $10.98 for a 4lb box. (A half box will more than feed a family of 5 with seconds.) It can be found fresh nearly everywhere and frozen in small packages in most stores, including the Save-a-lot.
HUSHPUPPIES:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup plain flour
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 t seasoning ( I love Emeril's)
1/4 t salt (unless you use a real salty seasoning, be careful)
1/4 t black pepper
1/3 t baking soda
2 T (or more) finely chopped onion
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Stir until thoroughly blended.
I have a fry cooker and I heat several inches of oil at about 350. (My test for oil is when a cube of bread can be cooked in about 1 minute.)
Drop by tablespoons into oil. Turn once the underside is browned. They should float when done. Don't overcook.
Drain on paper towels.
FISH MIXTURE:
I use the same as above minus the onions and soda.
Wash fish and coat in mixture.
Drop in hot oil (350 is the perfect temp on mine).
Cook for approx. 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
(*Mommies - always be extra careful around hot oil. My rule is 'no one steps onto the kitchen floor when hot oil is around'.)
Serve with tartar sauce and fries if you like. My family loves this with homemade coleslaw.

No comments: