Tuesday, March 4, 2008

BEEF JERKY

The first thing you do is slice the meat up, as thin as possible. Trim away fats, I read they will go rancid sooner than the meat. Then you pick your seasonings and marinate overnight in the fridge. I used Teriyaki sauce, garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper, and salt. (The kids think I should have used more salt.)

I then placed in my food dehydrator for about 6 hours on 145 temp. (You can also dry this in the oven. Instructions are on the internet, search in Google and read several for the best methods.) The best test for doneness seems to be to pick up a piece and lay it out until its cool. Then bend it; you want it to crack not just bend, and not break or its overdone.



The finished product= a plate of beef jerky! (I believe 4 pounds of meat makes 1 pound of jerky.)Store in airtight containers in the freezer.

A great snack for those days when you have to be out and about running errands with children.



No comments: