Monday, March 24, 2008

CELEBRATE SPRING-- LADYBUG CAKE





THIS CAKE IS SO CUTE AND QUICK AND SURE TO BE A HIT WITH KIDS!









ALL YOU NEED IS THE FOLLOWING:
CAKE MIX
RED COLORED SUGAR
LICORICE (just one or two pieces)
CHOCOLATE CHIPS (1/3 cup approx.)
WHITE ICING (you choice)


You can use any cake mix, I used a French Vanilla flavored cake mix. I baked it in a Pyrex bowl. (2.5L) I baked it at 325 for 55 minutes.
(I also made the cake almost fat-free.)



The icing is a simple butter frosting. You can use whatever you have on hand but if you would like to try this one, here it is:
1/3 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
2t vanilla
2T or so of milk
Cream butter, add sugar, vanilla, and milk and blend until creamy, adding more milk if necessary.



The decorations are simple; and you can use whatever you have on hand.
I used licorice for the lines around the wings. Red colored sugar is what you see glittering.
The dots were chocolate chips (always some of those around here). The antennae, mouth, and eyebrows are all licorice as well. Simply pull the strings apart or if you have my misfortune and it has all melted together, then you can cut it apart into strings.



After baking, decorating took me only about 10 to 15 minutes! Easy!!!

5 comments:

MyKidsMom said...

This cake is SO cute- I think I'll make one with my daughter this weekend- thanks!

Donna said...

Thanks for posting!

I hope she loves it!

Blessings!
-Donna-

Joy said...

I have got to make this cake for spring for the kids!

WiJoyMom said...

cute cake idea. WHAT kind of pan or bowl did you bake this in?

Donna said...

WiJoyMom,
Sorry 4 the delay- I just now saw your question.

I baked it in a Pyrex bowl. (2.5L) I baked it at 325 for 55 minutes.

I think all Pyrex are oven-proof.