Thursday, June 5, 2008

HAM-ABET SOUP

Click on the bowl of soup for a closer look!


I started this soup from this pack of Kedem, Split Pea Soup Mix. (About $1)
I use this because it is the only way that I can get my hands on some yellow split peas around here. It has green and yellow peas in it as well as a seasoning pack.

I bring about 4 quarts of water to a boil, toss in some leftover chicken broth from the freezer- usually about 2 cups.
I chop 2 to 3 stalks of celery and toss in.
Then one whole onion, chopped.
The peas in the package, the seasoning, and a cup and a half of chopped Turkey Ham. I bring all of this to a nice simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
I then add the seasoning pack (from the Kedem package) and a package of little ABC pasta. (.25 to .50 cents)
I remove it from the heat, cover it and its ready at lunch time!
Salt, if necessary and pepper.
Serve with crackers or homemade whole wheat bread!

*The total cost of this meal would be under $3 including bread or crackers.
I served homemade juice popsicles and cookies for dessert.

My DD who loathes soup, loved this and had a second bowl of it gone before her brothers were halfway through their first bowl! A big hit and I made it the next day at her request.



No comments: