Monday, August 18, 2008

A Chicken Dish -topped with leftover cornbread

This is a great way to use leftover cornbread!
I keep a bag in the freezer just for my leftovers so I can have for dressings or whatever I dream up! :-)

The casserole is made from leftover roasted chicken(about 1 1/2 cups),
1 1/2 cups of sour cream,
1 can of cream of chicken,
1 can of milk,
1 medium onion sauteed
in butter with
2 stalks of celery,
1 t minced garlic,
fresh ground black pepper,
and salt to taste.
For the topping, I melted about 
1/4 cup of butter, tossed in 
about 2 cups of crumbled cornbread, 
1/4 cup chicken stock (or water or whatever you have on hand), 
1/2 t thyme, 
and 1 t sage.
Bake until top is golden and filling is bubbly!
I served this dish with my favorite veggie, fried okra with green tomatoes!

And steamed cabbage wedges!
A super frugal meal since the chicken was leftovers and most of the veggies were free or from my own garden! Total meal cost approx. $1.25!



No comments: