Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dried Candied Apples



This is a little treat that my kids love and ask for come fall! My oldest, now 16, makes sure (as only a teen can) that I don't forget to make at least one batch of these.
They are super easy BUT they can get super messy, so here's the way I do it and my tips on how to keep the mess to a minimum:)
Peel and slice apples and put them in a bowl of water with about a 1/4 cup of lemon juice to keep them from browning. Then dip apples in sugar (your choice of sugars) and place on tray.
NO degree in Rocket Science required! It is that easy!
BUT if you are REALLY interested in doing this, PLEASE read the tips below!
-Use only one cup of sugar at a time to keep from getting it all wet.
-Allow trays to drain in the sink about an hour before drying in the machine.
(They drip a messy syrup!)
-Will need to dry a little longer than regular apples.
**A good sub for candy!**
FOR MORE KITCHEN TIPS, VISIT TAMMY'S RECIPES!

3 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I wish I had a dehydrator just for this recipe! It sounds so yummy!

debbieo said...

I saw this on Tammy's site and I am drying some right now. I thought it would be good to mix cinnamon with the sugar so thats what I did. They smell great and you are right they do drip and are messy, I didnt take your advice to leave in the sink cause I had to leave the house for an errand. Next time I will definately let them drain though.

Donna said...

sherry-
you could do this in the oven if you used a metal rack and drained them real well before putting them in the oven and I might would put foil under them :-)
You would use a very low temp. 120 or as low as your oven could go.

debbieo-
They are great with cinnamon!
Thanks for mentioning it, I had forgotten.