Wednesday, September 17, 2008

From Stew to Casserole- like magic

We had my homemade Beef-n-Barley-n-Lentil Stew the other day. I make it slightly different just about every time I cook it! This time it was more like stew than soup and I used some cheap/frugal steaks along with some leftover spinach. I also used long cooked stock instead of water or broth, which gave it a really rich flavor. My dilemma today was whether to serve up the leftovers as a 'cup-o-soup' with sides or as one of my 're-makes'.
Remakes won, so I poured the thick leftovers in a 9x13, sprinkled some tater tots on the top and baked it at 425 until it was hot and the tots were golden.

Funny-- everyone liked it better this way and almost didn't notice what I had done!
Funny how tater tots can affect a kid!


Served here with broccoli and leftover french bread, toasted with cheese.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Yummmmmmmy!!! We are huge tatertot fans! Ok, Jason is "okay" with them but the rest of us LOVE them! I'm making a tatertot casserole tonight. It doesn't sound as good as leftover stew casserole but it'll do :)