Wednesday, October 1, 2008

WORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAY...


Once-a-month-shopping helps me keep myself in check! (With 8 people in one house--there MUST be a good supply of food here AT ALL TIMES! .....'cause we all know what happens when a few males get hungry at the same time ....it ain't pretty!)

I've posted about this several times and here's a little more detail about my shopping and here's a real list, food stains and all, of how I break things up, or is it 'down'?

I do it one of two ways; I either make up menu plans and go shopping OR I go shopping for what's on sale and then make the menu plans the next day, according to what I bought.

With a pantry and freezer stuffed full and running over, I don't have to worry about finding something to eat or running to the store (nearly a half hour drive)-- 'cuz there's always something here!
This has been my week to work on my shopping list and it's What Works For Me! :-)

8 comments:

Dana said...

My family isn't as big as your's, but I still shop once each month also. The stores are 30 minutes away, so it doesn't make sense to do it more than once. I make menues for the month and usually end up buying the same things every time. It's sometimes hard to find places to put everything once I get home, but it all works out and is very worth the effort.

Blessings--
Dana

Stonefox said...

Cool! This is the kind of stuff I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing your tips.

Erin said...

I checked out the previous posts you refered to and I'm impressed!

At the moment I just live with my brother so our grocery bill isn't that bad, but just planning meals and only shopping for them I've noticed our expences go down. I never thought to plan more than a week ahead - but maybe I should.

Do you have an extra freezer or pantry to help store things?

Anonymous said...

I try to do that too and there's only 5 of us! Sure I have to run out of extra milk and produce, but around here I call that "me time." LOL. Blessings, Whitney

Sonshine said...

okay maybe if stores were 30 minutes away I could wrap my head around the shopping once a month! LOL! Right now though I can walk to a grocery store if I had to so I just can't get how you(and others I know) do once a month shopping. :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

Deanna said...

Once a month shopping is a concept I love because I HATE to shop! (I know I am one weird woman.)

MamaHen Em said...

I used to do once a month shopping, but now go once a week. I make up a menu a week, but maybe I should go back to once a month and see if I can make it work! Love the tips, thanks!

Marnie said...

Looks like you are doing a good job!

It seems like I go through different seasons of shopping habits. I really like going once a month and having a full pantry. Saves a lot of money that way, too. Since my son moved...:o(..., I have been having to adjust my shopping and cooking habits. I didn't realize how much he was eating! I have too many left-overs now.