Thursday, January 8, 2009

Going fruity!

This is a sample of some goodies that I brought in from the store tonight. Clementines, bananas, apples, green grapes, grapefruits, strawberries, blueberries, a pineapple, and dried organic figs!

Doesn't it all look so yummy?!?!?

One way to keep it yummy for the kids is to buy fruit that can be a personal serving size all on it's own! Like a clementine, small gala apples, and even the bananas!

Another handy-dandy way to keep it fun for the kiddies is these little leftover cups:


I don't think these plastics are a real hazard since they are not used for cooking and/or heated food...so, I use them for 'personal servings' for grapes, blueberries, pineapple, grapes, raisins, nuts, granola, etc. Sometimes they even get carrot sticks in one and a little dip in the other, etc.

But even for those who may not have their front teeth:-), it's a great way to hold an apple that has been sliced up!

I save these cups from the yogurts and other treats that I get at a low cost with coupons and sales. (You may remember that I also use them for our 'pops'.)

But served up like this, any kid would enjoy these as a snack! Or side at meal time! My kids often get these at the end of the meal as dessert; sometimes alone and other times before a real sugar-filled dessert. I read where one mother never allowed a 'sweet' unless a fruit was eaten first. When you buy and serve more fruits like this, you usually find that junk food is soon forgotten!

My kids had blueberries and strawberries with one dollop of whipped cream for dessert tonight and they gobbled them right up! The dollop of whipped cream worked for the couple of kiddies that don't care for blueberries straight up! ;-)


Oh, and by the way, several of the kiddies will eat grapefruit with me if I cut them in half and sprinkle with a little cane sugar! We make it an event when we eat grapefruit!

No comments: