Friday, January 23, 2009

Nourishing Kraut

This is really simple to make and very tasty! It is the one recipe that could win the skeptic over if you have someone who thinks following N.T. style recipes is a little 'weird'.

I kept close to the N.T. recipe with slight variations, as I made more but wanted a not so strong taste.

Grate or shred cabbage. (I used one fairly large head.)
Place in a bowl and mash with a wooden hammer/meat tenderizer for about 10 minutes to release liquid from the cabbage. You will see the liquid and the color change slightly. I then added 1/2 T sea salt, 1/4 cup whey, and 1/2 t caraway seeds and a little filtered water, about 1/3 cup.

Press into mason jars so that the liquid comes to the top. Leave a one inch head-space. (I had a quart and a pint.) Cover tightly and leave at room temp for 3 days, then refrigerate until ready to use.

 I love the way these N.T. fermented recipes have an almost fizzy tang to them!

This is great served with beans, on top of hot dogs and hamburgers, with pork and BBQ sandwiches, and Oh! so much more!


No comments: