Thursday, March 12, 2009

Work Kitchen, Work!


You gals know how I love to make my kitchen work while I sleep, right?
Well, while I'm dreaming, my kitchen will be working on all of these tonight!
*2 jars of buttermilk culturing (ahhh-- love buttermilk!)
*1 jar of lemonade kefir soda (from my old kefir lime culture---ahhh-- love this and now after seeing mommie drink it for a while, I have several littles who now ask for some too! -and just a little of this does the trick!--if you haven't tried the kefir sodas, may I encourage you to do so?)
*1 bowl of flour soaking in acidified (with lemon) for muffins
and
*1 bowl of flour soaking in kefir and butter for bread (mmm I've missed you wheat!)
Any body else making their kitchen work while you sleep?
(By the way, if you are thinking that you don't have time for this; I don't either, that's why it's working while I'm sleeping! ;-) But I did put it altogether in just a few minutes while my children were eating their "night time snack" and getting ready for bed. It took me 25 minutes to grind wheat, put all of this together, and fix their snack and feed it to them!)

5 comments:

Joy said...

I had buttermilk working for me last night too!'

Organized Nutrition said...

I have YET to make my kitchen work for me... LOL! BUT that is the next step in my learning to eat cleaner! Reading all I can right now!

Donna said...

Woo hoo Joy! Don't you just love homemade buttermilk?!?!!?!

Denai, I've seen your jars...you know how to work a kitchen! ;-)

Christiana said...

How do you make kefir soda?

Donna said...

Christy,
I use the basic recipes from the Mary Enig/Sally Fallon book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat".

You can use kefir grains or kefir powder to make it. I am assuming that you know what those are?

You use a 2 quart jar and add a pack of kefir (or grains which I do not have access to-yet :-),
1/2 a cup of cane sugar, and then about a cup of whatever you want to flavor with (fresh lemon juice, lime juice, etc I've even used pear juice from the fall when I made pear sauces and jellies--My fave was ginger ale!) and you fill the jar the rest of the way with filtered water. Leave it at room temp for 48 hours (strain if you like) and chill. You can use a 1/2 cup from it to culture the next batch! Easy peasy!