Thursday, August 20, 2009

Butterscotch (Meringue) Pie....

I whipped up a couple of pies today. (Remember, eggs are .39?) These pies are yummy and frugal! (Especially if you have mastered the art of making your own crust! I confess, I don't often make my own.)
One pie was my old stand-by, Chocolate Meringue Pie! A most excellent pie!
I think I fell in love with this pretty pie when I took a course in Food Service, many many moons ago! I don't think I had ever been exposed to meringue prior to that.Okay, on to the recipe for the Butterscotch Pie! Yummmmmy!
And yes, it really does taste like butterscotch!
1 baked pie shell
1 c brown sugar
4 T cornstarch
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 c milk
3 eggs, separated
1/2 T butter
Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a double boiler*. Add milk slowly. Cook until thick, like pudding. Beat yolks, add to mixture and cook 2 more minutes. Add butter and stir until butter is melted. Turn into pie shell.
To make meringue, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat in 1 T sugar and a dash of vanilla.
Spread on pie and bake 15 minutes at 300 until peaks are lightly golden.
Cool before slicing.



Here's a messy slice of the Chocolate Meringue Pie:


No comments: