Friday, March 18, 2011

Cheese "Puffs"-

I had to swat dh to make him leave these golden yummies alone! No, they aren't like chips/puffs from the store, they are sorta like a soft, almost chewy, puffed cracker- 'cept they're not crisp really. Is that real clear? ;-)
(They get even softer bagged up, but they're to take along for a picnic so I had to...and I had to hide them!)

I made them with the cookie press by the way. The kids liked them as they said they looked like clovers (and today was St. Patrick's day). :-)
I followed a basic recipe that came with my press, with a few changes-

Cheese "Puffs":
4 cups sharp cheddar, finely shredded
1 stick of butter
1 t Worcestershire sauce
2 or 3 dashes of hot sauce (I used red habanero- just a dot, not a lot!)
1/2 t salt
1 t paprika
3 T water (base exact amount on dough)
1 3/4 cup fresh spelt flour (can use white or wheat)

Mix cheddar, butter, sauces, until well creamed.
Add salt, paprika, and gradually add the flour.
Once all ingredients have been added and are well blended,
add just enough water to make a "dough". You can press
through a cookie press or roll out and cut into shapes.

Bake 9 to 10 minutes at 375, allow to cool for one minute before transferring to rack. Allow to cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YUM!! I am thinking I am going to be in a baking mood come tomorrow. I have quiet a few things I would love to try and this is going to make the list..I need a cookie press though! :)
Joy

Donna said...

You gotta get U one of those- they're so fun! But you could always roll these out and cut them.
They're best when they're still warm.