Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Kitchen Tips- store-bought wheat flour

Welcome to Kitchen Tip Tuesdays!


 I love fresh wheat flour and have had a mill to grind my own for around 15 years. But sometimes I run out and its a while before I can order grains again. When I do, I often will get King Arthur or Kroger brand wheat flour in the 5lb bags. But- let's face it- there are a many differences in using FRESH flour and old flour.

It's not as light, the texture isn't as good, and the smell isn't so sweet.

But the main problem? It's bitter. Why? Well, the oils break down and go rancid quite quickly after grinding. (Some say within minutes, others within 24 hours, and still others say within 7 days.) Most people who don't like wheat and wheat flour may not realize that the 'bite' that's bad about wheat is that bitterness that comes from rancidity. Gulp.

But, you can do a few things that will help with this problem when you must purchase store-bought wheat flour.

1- put it in the freezer right away to stop this breaking down of the oils
2- use some plain or bread flour in your recipes to add some 'fluff' 
3- use a pinch extra yeast and a dab extra honey
4- use 1/4 cup of orange juice as part of your liquids to squelch that bitter taste (can't taste the orange)

That 4th tip I find to be the most important because, if it's bitter, the rest just doesn't matter ;-)

Happy Baking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Thanks for the blog comment and I'm glad to of found your website, it has great recipes! :)

Donna said...

Thank you Katrina!
I very much enjoyed your Finnish pictures! Very pretty.