Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Marigold Jelly


When life gives you marigolds- make jelly!
I love being able to grow things that I can make some kind of use from!
A friend of mine gave me these marigold seeds and as soon as they began to pop up, I started digging to see what I could do with them. Some use the petals in salads but I was smitten when I found the jelly recipe. 

Here's how I made it:
Rinse-
3 cups of flower petals (snip the petals w/kitchen scissors right where the green part begins, toss out the green, using the petals only).
Pour over enough boiling water to cover and allow to steep and cool for a couple of hours.

Strain well and add enough water to make 4 cups of liquid.

Mix 1 box of low-sugar pectin (pink box) with 1/2 cup of sugar in a small bowl.

Whisk the sugar-pectin mix into the liquid, along with 3T lemon juice, and bring to a hard boil in a large pot.

Whisk in 2 1/2 cups sugar. Return to a hard boil. Boil for one minute.
(I continue to boil my jelly longer if a slightly cooled spoon of it doesn't slow-drip from the spoon.)

Poor into sterilized jars and process in canner according to directions.
Makes 3 pints of lemonade-colored jelly.


3 comments:

Carol said...

Being in Mississippi, we have lots of Kudzu growing. You can use their blossoms to make Kudzu jelly and it is a beautiful jelly. I think you can use the leaves in salads but I have not ever tried it. The Marigold jelly is quite pretty. Thanks for sharing!

Donna said...

Thank you Carol! Ah, you've made me wish I had some kudzu blossoms now! :)

JES said...

What a neat recipe! We are hosting a calendula (Pot marigold) link up until the end of the month. I would love for you to share this and any other calendula recipes you have! Have a lovely week :)

http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2015/03/about-calendula-information-recipes.html