Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup-the pantry and fridge way


Lunch is served!--Hot and yummy soup but shhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone around here that a lot of it was from leftovers!
I had leftover noodles from a night or two ago that was stored in an airtight container in the fridge. (Whole wheat noodles by the way!--and bought on sale for about .30!)
The onions were in my chopped onion bucket that I keep in the fridge for my DH when he occasionally fixes his own omelet in the morning. When they start to get old, I use them up and replace them with fresh ones!
My broth was from a whole chicken that I cooked months ago. I kept the broth in the freezer in a Ziploc bag.
I also threw in some leftover barley and brown rice--again SHHHHHHHHH, I don't think anyone even noticed that they were there!
Now I must confess, the chicken was not leftover, however I did catch a good sale so this soup has quite a bit in it but if you are one of those who has some leftover chicken stored--use it in the soup!
I sliced some carrots and celery sticks up too. I added a couple of bouillon cubes and a dash or thyme and some other herbs.
I whipped up some pumpkin rolls with some leftover Thanksgiving pumpkin that I bought for pennies nearly.
The whole meal- maybe $2 or $3 and feeds about 10 with enough rolls for the next two meals!

No comments: