Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Homemade Granola


Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium to low heat, add;

4 cups uncooked rolled oats (You can use more or less depending on the size of your skillet.)
Stir constantly for about 15 minutes and add seeds and grains of your choice.
I add;
1/3 cup ground flax
1/2 cup millet (add lastly as they darken quickly)
1/8 cup sesame seeds
3/4 cup coconut
3/4 nuts (here you see almonds)
(The list is limitless. You can also add dried fruits like raisins, cranberries, etc. But I usually don't so as to keep the cost down.)
Stir granola until everything looks lightly toasted but not burned!
Then add;
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
(opt. 2T oil, I like coconut)
Stir until everything is coated and no longer 'sticky' but of a drier texture.
Cool and store in airtight container!
(This method is a lot easier than cooking in the oven. The cost can be kept very low by simply using rolled oats. It can be eaten as a snack, sprinkled over yogurt, and my favorite way is to eat it like cereal, covered in milk!)

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Sounds great! I am going to give this a try. Thanks

Donna said...

Thank you Shelley!
I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!

For this freezer cooking, I'm going to bag it up in servings I think, so it can be a 'grab-n-go' :)