Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Southern Dinner


Fresh from my garden; corn on the cob, green beans, fried green tomatoes, with seasoned pinto beans over cornbread.
About these beans.....I cooked (in a very large pot) about 4 lbs of beans. (Soak overnight first.)I also did something REAL Southern by adding about 2 cups of leftover ham (from the leftovers of the one I bought for $5 for DH). Now I'm normally not a pork person but it IS really good in beans! (and since I had some anyway...) Also, remember not to salt until beans are basically done, as the salt can keep them from getting nice and soft.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree I love ham in beans, but that is about the only time!
Looks delish!
Toni

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so good. I will have to do this meal sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Toni, Im with you on that one! Where there's ham, there must be beans!

Lyn, Don't forget the Fried Green Tomatoes!:-)

Meredith said...

Yum! That looks delicious AND frugal--my favorite combination.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Meredith! Nothing better than beans when it comes to frugal-;-)