Saturday, March 7, 2009

Meat, this week, and it pays to ask your local grocer!

This week, hamburger meat is on sale for $1.29 at a local grocery store. It's been a long time since I've seen it for that price!

So I called the meat department and ask them to have 30 pounds of it ready for me! They bagged it in three, ten-pound bags for me and I sorted it into freezer bags when I got home after we got plenty out to make about 15 hamburgers! I will have enough for 22 meals! (And we had a splurge on hamburgers- a rare favorite around here!) The cost was 38.70! Woo hoo!

Now, they also had a special running on roast so I told him to have me $40 worth of roasts ready when I came in. They brought me out 8 reallllly good-sized roasts!

Those two purchases alone just about takes care of a months worth of suppers!

They also had chicken tenders on sale for 1.49 a pound. Now, I know chicken can often be bought whole and on the bone for a cheaper price, but this is an excellent price for a quick meal to have on hand and it's certainly better than hotdogs or bologna sandwiches! -and its all white meat!
These are perfect for my quick and frugal fajitas/chapattis , which my family loves and it's so convenient on those wacky days when you are in a rush. (And $3 worth of meat should do the trick for those!-and keep that meal around $5!)

The best part about this run to the store is that Dh was nearly beside himself when he laid his eyes on all of that fresh beef!

But, consider asking around next time you see a few good prices. They can grind you up fresh meat (no browning day old beef for me!) and you can stock up on a good price!

2 comments:

TheFiveDays said...

Thanks for this tip. I am so intimidated by the meat area!! And I know it's a place where I can save a lot of money if I can just figure it out. ;)

Donna said...

I understand how you feel!

I'm just learning :-)

But it never hurts to ask! And the more processing the store does (of their meat), the more you can likely get them to work with you!