Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Buckets, buckets, and more buckets..love 'em!


Some friends gave me a few of these last year and said if I could find a use for them, they could get more. I put them right to work in the kitchen!
The first ones I used as 'compost buckets' last year. Shells and scraps would go straight in them until 3 or 4 were full and then I would have the boys go dig them into the garden.
Then I started using them to hold some of my herb teas. I left them in their bags, but rolled them up tightly and placed them in these. They will stack on each other and they are a little neater than a half dozen ziploc bags.
Then I started using them for other things and asked for more! :-)
Now they house brown rice, popcorn, beans, lentils, split peas, egg noodles, barley, cane sugar, etc.
I've grown to enjoy my little (big) freebies! All of those bottles are vinegars, red wine vinegar, raw apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and hot sauce and then there's my jar of Rejuvelac!
(These are all in a cabinet.)
*
(In the top picture-
These are in my pantry/laundry room.
There's nine of them under there!
There's also a bucket up front of red beans
and a box of homemade jellies and fruit sauces in the back.)
Know anyone who works at a restaurant? Perhaps you can ask them for some of their empty food containers! :-)

4 comments:

Joy said...

I love containers especially free ones. I really love glass jars too and glass containers with lids..I could get carried away with containers!
Joy

Donna said...

I prefer glass too but...free is well..ya know...hard to beat! :-)

I save all of my big applesauce jars! Those are some of my faves!

Joy said...

Oh I LOVE all containers plastic, glass, metal, any kind I mean I have got really carried away with keeping containers and free ones well hey I HAVE to keep them right..thats the frugal mind set right? ;)

Donna said...

lol
yeppers!
lol