Friday, October 30, 2009

Earthy Buttermilk Oat Scones...



I over toasted the oat groats and almost ruined them! But- it worked good for pictures! Now you can actually see them! ;-)
This is not my recipe, its in my files and I'm not quite sure where it came from, likely Paavo Airola.
---------------------------------------------------------------
1 cup at groats (toast at 375- says 20 but mine didn't make it that long, they were too toasty in 15! Let them cool.)
3/4 cup buttermilk, warmed
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour (rolled oats whirled in blender, processor, etc)
1 t baking powder
1/4 cup softened butter
In a mixing bowl, put flours, baking powder and butter. Mix to resemble fine bread crumbs. (I think I added in a little rendered beef fat too, just for good measure- the good measure of extra inches around my waist!) Add the groats and buttermilk. Mix to make a firm dough. Roll out into a large round. (on baking sheet) Cut with pizza cutter into wedges. Bake at 400 for 12 to 15 minutes.
These are an excellent addition to a light meal.
The kids ate these with pear preserves!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My son like scones and I make them often. I will try this recipe next time I make them.
THANKS!!! for visiting my blog and the nice comment.
Geri