Monday, May 17, 2010

Liver Treats for the puppies...

Petco sells a pound of liver treats for like $6 or $7! Very expensive- for a treat - for a pet!

Well- why not make them?!

In my freezer I have bags of cooked, blended chicken liver that I sometimes sneak in our food. Its simply sauteed chicken livers and onions, blended to a paste in the food processor. Using this liver, here's how I made these treats that my dogs LOVE!

2/3 cup thawed ground, cooked liver
1 T honey
1 T molasses
approx. 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (enough to make into a dough)

Mix all ingredients and knead up into 3 balls by hand. Roll out onto foil lined baking sheet. Cut into bite-sized squares with pizza cutter or sharp knife. Bake (dry) at 200 for 1 to 1.5 hours. Store in air-tight container or in the freezer for longer storage. And these are kid-friendly too- if you have boys like me, who like to taste the dog's treats! ;-)

To make these for a people friendly cracker, you could use melted butter in the place of the honey and molasses and slightly more flour. :-)

No comments: