Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Our House: Random Acts of Kindness Week and Kid's Appreciation Day

This week at our house, I decided to do something exciting before we "officially" start back on a full load of school stuff. (We school all year, but do more reading in the summer than most other things.)
 It has been SO hot and humid outside that I didn't want to do another Field Day. (Maybe later.)

I really wanted to accomplish two things. One was, to encourage them to be nicer and more thoughtful towards one another. The other was, to show them that I appreciated every one of them for all the help they give me on a daily basis.

I started by declaring this week to be Random Acts of Kindness week.
For every kind and random act they do, I mark down a star beside their name in a notebook.
On Friday evening, we will have a celebration of all the kind acts done by each other this week.
 John 13:35  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

(The funniest random act so far was when one of the boys grabbed dd's hand and said, "I'll be right here holding your hand if you get scared!"-while we were just sitting around the dinner table.)

We will also have a party for Kid's Appreciation Day!
Yes, this is my own made up holiday.
They will be off all school work. 
It will be similar to our Mock Christmas(*see bottom of this post) in that I'm going to fix a BIG dinner with turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, pies, and cupcakes- and more!
We'll eat all weekend on these foods and play games and work puzzles- and celebrate the kids for ALL that they do to make life special and the help they are to their mom and dad every day of the year!
They will also get a few small presents. The boys will get a comb, dd a spray bottle.($1.50)
They will also get a pair of flip-flops ($6), toothbrushes that have been put up for a while, candy, and a couple of puzzles found in a fifty cent bin some time back at Walmart. ($2)

On Friday evening I also plan to let them play in a sprinkler that was found at the dump. It was semi-broken but still sprays.We don't usually "waste water" so this will be a big treat for them.
I also wrapped all the little presents in leftover Christmas wrapping paper - which is stirring the younger children just as much as it does at Christmas!
The final thing I will do will be to write each of them a personal letter, thanking them for their specific contributions to our home. (This is done in words, on birthdays too.)

Remember: Making memories is more important than stuff! Bringing excitement and encouragement into your home doesn't have to cost anything- just make a bigger deal about it! :)

Psa 127:4-5  As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them:

3 comments:

Joy said...

You are are WONDERUL mother!!! Your children will have so many wonderful memories because of you!!
I love this idea!
Joy

Donna said...

Joy, you're so sweet! They are having a BLAST with this! I ended up taking them to the creek and letting them play in the sprinkler today. I also let them have their 'gifts' after pizza tonight. I have a special 'cake' planned for them tomorrow and all the foods. I'm up late tonight cooking :)...And writing those letters to each of them :)

-The best part- was their "thank you" to me! - When this is about thanking them :)
God is good!

Elise said...

Grateful for sharing thhis