Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Kefir Pear Soda............

I love an adventure--even if it's only in my own kitchen! This is sooooooo yummy! And I must say, it's a step up from the Beet Kvass that I made a few days ago;-) The Kvass is salty, yet quite fizzy but this is sweet, yet kefir-ish.

I used about 1 1/2cups of leftover pear juice from making sauce and jelly, 1/2 cup of cane sugar and a pack of kefir powder. I then filled my jar with filtered water. Let it sit for 2 days and strain any kefir clumps and keep about 1/2 cup to start the next batch.

Which I did like this:
the second batch has about 1/4 cup of ground (fresh) ginger, juice of 2 large limes, and the leftover starter batch from the above.

These ideas started as a result of an anonymous poster when I blogged about Kombucha without a scoby.


It's crazy, I know, but fun! And it's what Works For Me Wednesday!
(This idea is also in the book by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon, Eat Fat Lose Fat.)

2 comments:

Gator World!! said...

I don't mean to sound silly but what is Kefir?

Donna said...

Gator world:
You don't sound silly. It's not been too long ago that I didn't know what it was!:-)

Here's the definition on kefir.net:
"Kefir is a cultured, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your "inner ecosystem." More nutritious and therapeutic than yogurt, it supplies complete protein, essential minerals, and valuable B vitamins."

--Kefir is similar in nature to yogurt and buttermilk. Most use it as they would use yogurt, in smoothies etc.
--You can buy it, for a rather 'sweet' price in the healthfood stores and the healthfood section of some grocery stores with yogurt and organic milk.
--You can make it 2 ways. One is from the powder that you can buy at the health food store in the refrigerated section or you can purchase kefir 'grains' and you often have to do that online. Some health food stores might can hook you up with those. But you would add the powder or the grains to heated, then cooled milk. You would allow it to 'culture' overnight and by morning to lunch, you would have KEFIR!
-----------------------
Hope this explains it ;-)