Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Substitutions and Equivalent Measurements...


These are so handy to keep around....the stove that is;-)
I have been known to tape charts like this on the inside of the cabinet doors beside my stove!
*
EQUIVALENT MEASUREMENTS
dash= less than 1/8 teaspoon
pinch= approx. 1/6 teaspoon
3 teaspoons= 1 tablespoon
2 tablespoons= 1/8 cup or 1 oz
4 tablespoons= 1/4 cup
5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon= 1/3 cup
8 tablespoons= 1/2 cup
12 tablespoons = 3/4 cup
16 tablespoons= 1 cup
2 cups= 1 lb. granulated sugar
2 cups= 1 pint
4 cups= 1 quart
2 pints= 1 quart
4 quarts= 1 gallon
8 quarts= 1 peck
4 pecks = 1 bushel
16 oz= 1 pound
*
SUBSTITUTIONS
2 tbsp flour= 1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup butter= 1 cup fat (lard or beef tallow) and 1/2 tsp salt
1oz chocolate= 3 1/2 tbsp cocoa and 1/2 tbsp butter
1 cup sour milk= 1 cup sweet milk and 1 1/3 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
1 tbsp baking powder= 1/4 tsp soda and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
*
**Also, I've put together some links for Thanksgiving for kids' coloring pages and there's also a link at the bottom to Thanksgiving Unit Studies!**

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

This was so nice of you to make up this list. I have similar ones on my fridge that I made a while back. I wrote them out on index cards, laminated them, and glued one of those magnetized fake credit cards I'm always getting in the mail on the backs. I can't tell you how many times I've referred to those lists!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

What a great list! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Your kefir suggestions sounded wonderful. I'm hoping to get some pears soon!

Blessings,
Michele