Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Peel it away, but don't throw it away!


Citrus peels are a delicacy in the right place, don't you think?
I love to use zest in cookies, cakes, and sweet breads but I found myself never having them when I needed them...Sooooo.....
....now I've started grating them and freezing them in small ziploc bags or just tearing the peels from the lemon, lime, orange, clementine, etc and tossing them in a freezer bags to add a zing to my herb teas!
I also drop them into a quart jar and cover with vinegar to make a great cleaner!
I have another post here called "Limes, 3 ways to use 'em".
For more Kitchen Tips, visit Tammy's Recipes!

3 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great idea! I know when I use fresh citrus fruit I have a habit of throwing away but this would definitely be a great way to use it. Thanks for sharing!

Have a great Tuesday!
SHerry

Linda said...

Great idea! I'm like you, I don't have them when I need them. I'll definitely give this a try.

Momzoo said...

Those are all great ideas, I am going to start freezing my peels!