Wednesday, June 10, 2009

MONKEY MEAT!-




I have included this on the menu at my house since I've gotten several good deals on roast.
Its a nice change from just typical Roast, Potatoes, and Carrots.
Millie asked me about it on this post, so here it is!
Hope its something your family might like! ;-)
First- let me say that you can eat Monkey Meat on anything you want; tortillas, flatbreads, pita breads, sandwiches, buns, etc. But I personally love it on flatbread and there's a recipe here if you'd like to try it my way! ;-)

Okay, while you make up your mind how you want to eat it, I'll just type up how to make it! :-)

1- approx. 4 pound roast (If you have a normal sized family or littles, then you could get by with half of that easy or this much would easily make 2 to 3 meals!)
**Now, how I like to do this is cheat a little bit! For supper, I cook an extra roast, so for lunch the next day or supper, we can have Monkey Meat with the extra!
**Now if you don't want to do that, you can toss all of the following in the crock pot and cook it on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for about 4. Or you could cook it in the oven if you like.
In large pot:
-1 onion chopped
-1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
-2 finely chopped carrots
-2 stalks finely chopped celery
saute in 1/4 cup olive oil
Add:
-1 t minced garlic
-1 finely chopped, seeded chili pepper (opt) *I have some dried ones that I tossed in above.
-1 1/2 T chili powder
-1 1/2 to 2 t cumin
-1 t onion powder
-3/4 t garlic powder
-1/2 t black pepper
-1 t sea salt
-1 t oregano
-1 can diced tomatoes with chilies (or just tomatoes)
-1 cup of broth or water
Toss in the cooked roast, shred, and simmer while you make the flatbread or prepare sides or desserts.
(**Again, you don't have to use pre-cooked meat. You can toss it all in and cook as per above instructions.)
**Served in above pics with sour cream and sharp, shredded, cheddar cheese; on flatbread- fold like a taco and eat!
MONKEY MEAT!

2 comments:

Millie said...

YUM! Thank you for posting it. My family would love it and I love the idea of cooking two roasts at once.

Donna said...

Millie,
you are most welcome!
I'd love to hear how it goes over if you get a chance to try it, and if you do anything different with it!! :)

I would like to try it on fry bread too!